well hubby made me a protein packed lunch
my 4 oz of t bone steak
about 3 oz of refried beans w/shredded cheese
and some apple sauce..
let me say it was delicious
breakfast was a little oatmeal and some coffee
and my snack was a hard boiled egg
1. PROTEIN SATISFIES & SAVES CALORIES In the beginning of your weight loss journey, protein is important because it helps you feel fuller longer. Having protein around slows down digestion making us more satisfied and less likely to go back for seconds. If this happens over the course of multiple days your calorie savings can help with weight loss.
2. IT CURBS CARB HIGHS AND LOWS Pairing protein with carbohydrate-rich foods slows down the absorption of sugar from your stomach into your bloodstream, which may help keep your blood sugar from skyrocketing and ward off future cravings.
3. PROTEIN REQUIRES MORE OF YOUR ENERGY The “thermic effect of food” (TEF) is the energy we use to digest food into small, absorb-able components. Protein has a higher TEF compared to carbs and fat meaning you’re actually burning more calories to process protein than to process the other two.
4. IT FUELS FAT BURNING It may be surprising, but it is a scientific fact that your body cannot effectively burn and use fat as energy if it doesn’t have help from either carbohydrate or protein. As you are losing weight, your body loses both muscle and fat. During this process it is especially important that you continue to eat enough protein in your diet. Having adequate protein coming in from your food fuels fat burning while preserving calorie-burning lean muscle.
5. PROTEIN PROMOTES MUSCLE REPAIR & GROWTH Your protein needs increase especially after bouts of intense exercise so increasing your protein intake on days that you exercise is beneficial. Additionally, if you strength train consider having a high protein snack right after a training session when the muscle is sensitive to nutrients that it can use to repair and grow.
One important thing to realize is eating more protein alone won’t necessarily help you shed excess weight in a healthy way. When consumed in excessive amounts it can still lead to weight gain much like eating excess carbs or fat would. 3500 calories is a pound ate or drank.